Monday, October 1, 2012

The Enchilada Bullet


Quick, kiss the cook and maybe we can order pizza!

I am what you might call a “creative cook”, my husband says it is experimental. J
I love creating new versions of the same old thing and when it is good… it is good, when it is bad… it is really bad!  We always joke about it now, but when my husband and I were first married, I decided to make beef enchiladas for dinner.  I was so excited about it, I thought about what I would need to make the enchiladas and I had everything in the cabinet already, everything except the hamburger.  I didn’t have time to run to the store so I thought I could substitute the hamburger with a couple of cans of hot dog chili.  In my defense hot dog chili does contain hamburger.  Well I filled the tortillas with the chili, folded them and layered the sauce and cheese.  I stood back and admired the pan filled with enchiladas and patted my self on the back for my ingenuity and resourcefulness.  When my husband got home, I took them from the oven, they smelled good and even looked ok. (Of course they were covered with cheese so it was hard to tell what was underneath.)  I fixed his plate first, and presented it to him, I was beaming!  While he started to eat I went back to the stove and fixed my own plate.  When I returned to the table he was eating the last part of his enchiladas and had a smile on his face.  I sat down and “dug” into my own plate and with the first bite, I ran to the trash can to spit it out! It was horrible!  Soggy tortillas, greasy and runny the only thing holding the enchilada together was a gob of hot cheese!  This dinner was absolutely nasty.  I turned around in the kitchen and looked at my husband, he looked up from his plate and a look of relief came over his face and he said, “Thank goodness, I thought I was going to have to eat a second helping!”  How sweet, he took an “enchilada bullet” for me that day.  He ate almost the entire first plate and was mustering up the courage to ask for a second helping, just so he wouldn’t hurt my feelings.  That was almost 13 years ago, and as we are about to celebrate our Anniversary, I am reminded of that beautiful moment when my husband sacrificed taste for love.  Now, this is the unit we use to measure any new dishes I create, if I say it’s good, he says, “hotdog chili good?”.  Lol.  Has your husband ever took an “enchilada bullet” for you?  Tell us about it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment