Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day 12: Taking Care of You


31 Letters to the New Mom of a Child with Spina Bifida
Day 12: Taking Care of You: 5th Post in the series-Being your Child’s Advocate
Dear Momma,

I can’t stress this enough, YOU MUST TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!  When your child is born, it will be very easy to get so wrapped up in the care of your child that you forget to take care of you.  You must remember, if you get sick, tired or down it will be very difficult to care for your child. 
Please take time every day to do something for yourself.  Here’s a list of 10 things you can do for you:

1.       Take a walk.  You would be surprised how much better you will feel by simply getting away from everyone else and taking a quick 15 minute walk.  I do some of my best thinking and planning during a walk.

2.       Take a bubble bath.

3.       Keep a journal, writing can be very cathartic.  It doesn’t have to be autobiographical, you can write about anything.  Get a good pen and some paper and enjoy.

4.       Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep a night.  You may have to forgo a favorite TV show or activity but sleep is very important to your health and wellness, do not overlook this one!

5.       Join a support group or club.  I love football season because my husband and I switch off taking the kids to practices.  During the football season I get some of the best therapy and support sitting on the side of the field with my “Football Mommas”.  We laugh and have fun for the 2 hours of practice.

6.       Read a book.  I love to read but with our family schedule I don’t have time to sit down and read so…I download audiobooks to my ipod and I listen to them while I am cleaning, cooking or driving!  I love my audiobooks.

7.       Get away.  Don’t be afraid to take time away from your child with your spouse or a friend.

8.       Get a manicure or pedicure.  You can go to a salon or you can do them yourself at home. 

9.        Get a hobby.  Learn to do something with your hands, it will help to relieve stress and give you something to do while you are waiting at the doctor’s offices.  For ideas check out www.craftsy.com

10.   Take time every day to be alone, whether it is at night or early in the morning.  Just be by yourself you can plan your day, pray read or something just do it.

What do you do to take care of yourself?  Share it in the comments.

With Love,

Sherry

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment